The host of the local Georgia public television show Fresh Start, Gina Foxton is young, eager, and prides herself on her impeccable professionalism. So nothing should stand in her way of landing a gig on a national television cooking channel—except for a few teeny things:
- a boyfriend (the producer, no less!) who gets caught in flagrante delicto with the boss’s wife
- a slightly slutty sister who drops out of college—again—and seems to think she can move in and help herself to Gina’s fabulous wardrobe
- a hairdresser who forgets the timer so that her new dye job looks like a scalping gone wrong
- a publicist who sets up a photo shoot that reveals just a tad too much of her in People magazine
- a mother who calls her—every day.
Okay, so things aren’t great. But they aren’t that bad—until Gina’s competition, Mr. “kill it and grill it” Tate Moody arrives. The star of a hunting, fishing, and cooking show named Vittles, Tate is the ultimate redneck. He’s also a tasty side of beef with a grin that can make even a former Miss Teen Vidalia Onion runner-up like Gina overlook his shortcomings.
Eyeing the same prize, this pair of tart-tongued foodies are in for the cook-off of their lives, a heart-to-heart battle spiced up by a little ingredient called love.